Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 21, 2013

9-21-13 Jersey Jazzman

Jersey Jazzman:







They Only Win When You Give Up
This is depressing: When it came time yesterday for the question-and-answer session at state Education Commissioner Chris Cerf’s now-annual convocation with school superintendents, there was an awkward moment: nobody stepped to the microphone. “Oh, I know you have questions,” Cerf said wryly, aware of the challenges facing school leaders and their districts in a momentous year of change. And w

The Shafting Of the American Teacher
Well, isn't this just lovely: New Jersey teachers are returning to their classrooms this month with smaller pay increases than in previous years. The state schools boards association said the average pay increase in settled contracts as of this past spring was about 2.25 percent for the 2013-14 school year. That’s down from 2.37 percent last year and half of the average pay hike of almost 4.5

SEP 18

@jaredpolis: America's Worst Congressperson
What a schmuck: Yes, 75 year old Diane Ravitch -- grandmother, author, and historian -- is "evil" in the eyes of this sitting member of Congress. Aren't you proud, Colorado? This empty suit is the 7th wealthiest member of Congress. But Polis is really just another phony Democrat who pushes idiocy like Race To The Top so he doesn't have to have a serious conversation about income ine

SEP 17

Ravitch Kicks Rhee's Book-Selling Tail
You'll remember earlier this year when Michelle Rhee's auto-hagiography, Radical, was published. I tracked the sales for a while on Amazon; maybe I missed a higher number, but this was the best sales rank for Rhee that I could find, a little less than three weeks after her book was released: As I wrote at the time: According to Amazon.com, Radical was released on February 5, 2013, almost th

SEP 16

Chicago Mayor Emanuel Closes New School Before It Opens!
CHICAGO -- Rahm Emanuel has become the first big city mayor to close a school before it has even been built. "When I announced I was building this new [expletive deleted] school yesterday, I thought you [expletive deleted] in the press would leave me alone!" yelled Emanuel, shouting in front of a group of parents gathered in the Far Southeast Side. "Then the [expletive deleted] Tr

SEP 13

Hilarious Ode to Charlotte Danielson!
If you are a teacher, trust me on this one: Danielson, oh Danielson, I still hear your domains calling, My data's down, my numbers falling, I became a "one" When I met Danielson. Based on Glen Campbell's "Galveston"; how these guys came up with that choice I have no idea, but well done, folks! My sense is that Charlotte Danielson is a sincere educator who wants to ma