Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 19, 2013

9-19-13 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.

Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.:




Life in Rahm’s Chicago. FBI declares Chicago “Murder City, USA.”
  Read it here.



If you’re running for IEA convention delegate you can’t be an activist.
  In the IEA, I can claim to look like Brad Pitt, which I don’t. But I can’t claim to be an activist, which I am. I think I may have mentioned that I have been elected from my IEA local as a delegate to the state convention for over twenty years. The IEA and the NEA call their conventions the Representative Assembly. I don’t know why. What’s wrong with the word, convention? I think I may have men

Breaking: ISBE head withdraws special ed class cap from today’s meeting agenda. A win for the good guys. Don’t stop.
I just received word from Bev Johns of the Illinois Special Education Coalition that the Chairman of the State Board of Education announced that the elimination of special education class size limits was pulled from the agenda and will NOT be voted on today. Thanks to everyone for all your work on this. The emails and phone calls were overwhelming. We are not done. Here is what John’s would have s

Life in Rahm’s Chicago. Walter Payton High School has plenty of toilet paper and is about to get more. Cut to Les Miz.
As parents on the West Side collect toilet paper for their schools – the schools that Rahm has still left open – the selective admission Walter Payton High School near the Lakefront will be given a $17 million annex by the mayor. Payton is one of Chicago’s four highly selective schools which also include Northside Prep, Whitney Young and Jones. Last year WBEZ’s Linda Lutton reported: We found tha
9-18-13 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.
Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.: The race for governor and local primaries.Back in the Spring we were once again engaged in a fight to protect our contractual and constitutionally guaranteed pension rights. In the Illinois House legislators, mostly Democrats, were voting for Senate Bill 1. It was a bill that would break our pension c