Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: The New Teacher:What Can We Do to Help?

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: The New Teacher:What Can We Do to Help?:

The New Teacher:What Can We Do to Help?

I spoke to the new 5th grade teacher today. I was part of the interview process and I was really impressed with her. She seemed like a great fit to our team, and after speaking to her today, our conversation helped reinforce that thought. Upon hearing that she was hired, I made sure my principal gave her my cell number so that she had the option to get in touch with me. She did. Good sign.:)

She is so excited! This will be her first year- long class. She is so excited!:) And terrified! I know how she feels. I still get that feeling. Not nearly as excited and terrified as she is, but every year is a new year, with a new adventure awaiting us. It's a lot easier when you have a year or two under your belt. It's a lot easier when you've had your "very own class" one or more times.

She asked a lot of good questions. I am going to go in one day to unpack my room, she'll be there, so that we can talk and plan. She wants to make sure she has the basics to get started.

What can we do to help the new teacher?

  • remember that we had to start somewhere. Don't judge. 
  • don't bring negativity and/or gossip to their classroom,Teacher's Lounge, or Happy