Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 2, 2013

David Coleman’s Politeness Doesn’t Equal Honesty | Truth in American Education

David Coleman’s Politeness Doesn’t Equal Honesty | Truth in American Education:

David Coleman’s Politeness Doesn’t Equal Honesty

Filed in Privacy/SLDS by  on August 2, 2013 • 0 Comments
coleman1Following-up on the post I wrote a couple of days ago about Michael Farris of the Home School Legal Defense Associationsharing  recap of a conversation he had with David Coleman about the Common Core.
Missouri Education Watchdog makes a great point – we really can’t trust what David Coleman has to say because he’ll tell you what he thinks you want to here.
For instance regarding data collection.  Farris wrote:
When he asked me why I thought that the Common Core was worse than other standards, I indicated that one of my chief concerns was the creation of the database that would track students throughout their educational career.
His answer surprised me. He didn’t like the database all that well. It was not originally part of the Common Core, but other people have seized the opportunity to make a centralized data collection effort through the implementation of the Common Core. We talked about many other details, but these were some of the most important.
It should surprise him, but unfortunately it really isn’t true.  I posted in June about a speech Coleman gave on student data.

He seemed to like the database just fine then, an excerpt of a transcript from his speech courtesy of Missouri Education Watchdog.
That is to put this more forcefully for those of us who debate this matter, we all have to I think in our field wonder at, be scared by, the findings of my unrelated but mighty