Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 22, 2013

Missouri Education Watchdog: A Lack of Faith in Christian Schools?

Missouri Education Watchdog: A Lack of Faith in Christian Schools?:

A Lack of Faith in Christian Schools?


At almost all of the talks I give on common core around our state someone will ask me what is happening with Common Core in private and parochial schools. I can always tell them what I know from having talked to leaders in the St. Louis Archiodese and from what I hear from parents whose kids attend catholic or other Christian schools. Many of these schools are adopting common core. What I can’t explain is the why; explain that is without having to point out an apparent lack of faith.

My own view of public education is that it is like the Titanic, and like that tribute to the latest engineering knowledge and marketing hype, it will most likely not live up to expectations and is probably going down.  My goal therefore has been to make sure that there are plenty of lifeboats for those who want to get off. Parochial, Christian and private schools (as well as home school) have been those lifeboats.

In terms of education, many of these schools have offered the kind of quality, classical education that most