Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Jersey Jazzman: Tom Moran: Democracy For the 'Burbs! But Newark? Meh...

Jersey Jazzman: Tom Moran: Democracy For the 'Burbs! But Newark? Meh...:

Tom Moran: Democracy For the 'Burbs! But Newark? Meh...

I've pointed out the cluelessness of Tom Moran, op-ed editor of the Star-Ledger, many times before when it comes to education policy. I've pointed out repeatedly a basic truth he chooses to ignore:
Charter schools in Newark are not replicable on a large scale because they do not serve the same students as public schools.
I've pointed out Moran's cluelessness on the Newark teachers contract. I've pointed out his ignorance on school funding in Newark. I've pointed out his misunderstanding of tenure law and his inconsistency on assigning blame for the "tone" of New Jersey's education debate.

So I won't go through that again in response to his piece today on restoring local control to Newark; instead, I'll merely point out the illogic of this:
Yes, it is difficult to argue against local democratic control. But remember that only