Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Daily Kos: words on a Saturday from two Black men I admire

Daily Kos: words on a Saturday from two Black men I admire:

words on a Saturday from two Black men I admire

As I write this, I am working the bookstore at the Shirlington Village (in Arlington VA) branch of Busboys and Poets, the chain of restaurants named for Langston Hughes.  As it happens I was just, as is my wont, rereading an older post, written in response to Mitt Romney saying some things should be discussed only in "quiet rooms."  I am proud of this post from January 2012.
In it I found occasion to quote two of the poems of Hughes  -  "Let America be America again." and "What happens to a dream deferred?"  In that post I pondered and reflected upon the meaning of the poetry of Hughes.
But it was also the occasion of the celebration King Day, and I also reflected on some of his words.
Below, I want to revisit some of those words by King, and, along with the words of Hughes, see how they apply right now, in a time when once again we are discovering what the apparent real values of the administration in power might be.