Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Now I've Heard Everything

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Now I've Heard Everything:


Now I've Heard Everything

I am working on a series on Common Core (which is coming at you like a Japanese bullet train.)  But there are some pretty funny things happening so I just couldn't wait.

Conservatives and Dem ed reformers and corporate ed reformers have been able to join hands and sing Kumbaya over charters, TFA, teacher evaluation, etc.

But here comes Common Core and it all falls apart.  The conservatives loathe Common Core and have succeeded in spreading the word.  The GOP passed a resolution against it and conservative groups like the Heritage Foundation have lined up against it.  At least 10 of the 45 states that signed on to Common Core have introduced backpedalling legislation.  A few, like Virginia, are still holding out.

Agendas for Upcoming Ctm Meetings/Work Sessions

 Executive Committee agenda for Wednesday.  Hey, all of you waiting for next year's school calendar - they will be discussing that.  (I note that other districts have theirs published already.)

Audit& Finance agenda for Thursday.  I see there is a "resolution" about moving leases and rental revenue to the General Fund.  Well, okay but ONLY if it goes to building maintenance.  Those are really capital dollars and should go to capital needs.  But I'll bet they won't. 

Work Session presentation on Boundaries. 

Highlights:
  • I'm quite surprised but they indicate that the "initial focus" for boundary changes will be elementary and middle schools.  High schools to come later.
  • Community engagement will be "Let's Talk!" meetings in June and August.  Which is really great because