Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Jersey Jazzman: Bill Gates's Ridiculous TED Talk, Part I

Jersey Jazzman: Bill Gates's Ridiculous TED Talk, Part I:


Bill Gates's Ridiculous TED Talk, Part I

I didn't even have to go two minutes into this spiel by Bill Gates before he laid out a whopper so large it's simply stunning:





(1:06) Until recently, over 98% of teachers just got one word of feedback: "Satisfactory."
That is astonishingly wrong. No teacher I've ever heard of ever got a one-word evaluation. Every principal I've ever worked for has written multiple pages about my teaching when doing my summative evaluation. Principals are, in fact, required to give meaningful feedback to their teachers; if they don't, they are derelict in their duties. All good school leadership programs require training in teacher evaluation.

Folks, you know I usually give gobs of links in my posts. But I feel stupid trying to add them here. Do any of you reading this actually think principals simply give one word of feedback to 98% of teachers in their evaluations? Do you really think this is how schools work? Does Gates?

There are only two reasons for anyone to make such a transparently incorrect statement: ignorance or