Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week 19 2013: Public Speaking

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week 19 2013: Public Speaking:


Week 19 2013: Public Speaking

19signs
For reasons I’m not going to go into, many of my plans for the classroom did not come to fruition. The one lesson I did manage to teach my students though, was just FABULOUS!
First, I must thank Andrew Dlugan at the Six Minutes site. This site is a great resource on public speaking and presentations for adults, but much of the material is accessible enough to use with older children (10+ years) with some modification. I wanted to prepare students to create and deliver persuasive speeches. To do this, I looked for resources on the three elements of persuasion; ethos, pathos, and logos. The article at Six Minutesseemed the best for my purposes. I asked some questions , and Mr. Dlugan contacted me via email when he heard about what I was planning to do. I found him to be quite helpful, and generous in his materials. I did end up re-writing a bit to make the language more accessible to my students, and to give them time for a response so I could check their understanding.
Here was what I came up with for a slide-deck:
Some other parts that I added were, between the Ethos and Pathos slides, I showed students video of former