Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 4, 2013

Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee: ‘Probably’ Shouldn’t Have Fired School Principal on National TV - ABC News

 Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee: ‘Probably’ Shouldn’t Have Fired School Principal on National TV - ABC News:


 Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee: ‘Probably’ Shouldn’t Have Fired School Principal on National TV



During her three years as Washington D.C. public schools chancellor, Michelle Rhee raised eyebrows with her tough-love approach to fixing a failing school system.
And when I sat down with Rhee on “This Week,” the controversial education reformer made no apologies for her rough-and-tumble philosophy.
“My style is very deliberative and very focused on doing what’s right for kids.  And so I wouldn’t change that so much,” Rhee told me.  “Should I have fired ineffective principals?  Absolutely.  Should I have done so on national TV?  Probably not.”
Rhee’s tenure in D.C. was met with plenty of controversy: Unions and city residents criticized her for ending teacher tenure and closing 23 schools in one year alone. Rhee left her position after the mayor who hired her to lead