Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Update: Seattle Schools Community Forum: What About BEX?

Seattle Schools Community Forum: What About BEX?:


What About BEX?

What are you hearing at your school about the levies?  Is there a big push on?  I know that at least 20+ schools have endorsed it.

Yesterday, the Times had an op-ed from the head of School First, Greg Wong, in support of the levies but it had one day on their webpage and is now gone to their file area.  Kind of odd.

The election is less than a month away and ballots are coming your way next week.  And, yet this seems to be a decidedly low-key election.  Does the district NOT want to call attention to it?

I go on record as saying I support both levies.  

(FYI, I find it unlikely that either levy will fail but if one or both did, the district can come back again in a couple of months.  It would cost a lot of money.  If that didn't pass, at least for Operations, I'm sure the State would step in



Board Meeting Likely to be Lively

I suspect that given the district has a media event to explain the interim plan for next year AND the SEA is having a "boycott the MAP" rally at 4 p.m. outside of JSCEE AND the large number of concerns over the interim plan, the Board meeting is probably going to be lively (to say the least). 

What questions do you think I should ask at the media event?

The speaker list reflects that most of the speakers are going to talk about the interim plan.  The speakers start at 5 p.m with the vote on the interim plan occurring roughly at 6:30 p.m.   Sadly, I think that the directors will all choose to give lengthy explanations of their votes.  I say sadly because sometimes I find it even harder to take a vote based on reasoning I hear given.  

Charters in Chicago

A lengthy and devastating account of public schools in the Chicago school system, created by the Chicago teachers union.  While I'm sure some of the viewpoint is somewhat skewed, they have hard data. 

Thanks to my friend, Carolyn, for this info.