Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 14, 2012

Schools Matter: "I Built This [Lie]"

Schools Matter: "I Built This [Lie]":


"I Built This [Lie]"

As the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) virus spreads throughout the United States like a pre-apocalyptic seed of World War Z, I recognize that it is no longer cool to recommend fiction and poetry, especially classic fiction and poetry, as texts we might cull some sense from. [1]

While my literacy scholarship has strongly recommended creative nonfiction and multicultural works as well as nontraditional texts such as comics/graphic novels and film, I stand firmly beside my colleagues Susan Ohanianand Stephen Krashen who have worked tirelessly [2] to protect the sanctity of rich textual experiences for children in classrooms dedicated to student and teacher autonomy—that is, voices raised against the CCSS virus.

First, let me offer the premise:

The Free Market America mantra "I built this" possibly best captures the naive faith the public and its leaders