Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 14, 2012

America 4 America | EduShyster

America 4 America | EduShyster:


America 4 America

Note: the following originally appeared on Diane Ravitch’s blog, the work of an anonymous author. Whoever he or she is, I am a huge phan…
America For America
When my family joined the program, I thought being a host sister would be a life-changing event. I’d grown up watching reruns of The Wire and Yo Teach! and I’ve just always felt like I wanted to do my part.
For the past two years I’ve been part of the program, I’ve agreed to share my room if the 5th grade student we host is a girl, but naturally a boy student stays with my younger brother. Right now we have a boy, which I’m glad about because I’m exhausted by the added Talk Time™ that comes with waking up and falling asleep with a student sharing my room. Honestly, the prescribed Good mornings! How did you sleep? the Would you like to