Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Why Not Just Do It? « Cooperative Catalyst

Why Not Just Do It? « Cooperative Catalyst:


Why Not Just Do It?

Adults at play as builders
Will Wright, creator of SIM gaming, said in an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson that “play and storytelling werethe educational technologies” for generations of humans. Wright and Tyson “riffed” on the science of video gaming, early games, storytelling and play, an area of study known as “ludology.” Their perspectives caught my attention.
PopoutThis weekend I had the chance to re-frame my own thinking about the power of these early “low risk” learning technologies through a recent conversation with an architect invested in social constructivism and a reminiscent moment about an early childhood teacher who I once spent a lot of time observing.
I recently sat down with Alex Gilliam, @publicworkshop, and chatted about the possibilities of a rural project that