Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 23, 2012

What is the “Status Quo?” And What the Heck is a “Reformer?” | LFA: Join The Conversation - Public School Insights

What is the “Status Quo?” And What the Heck is a “Reformer?” | LFA: Join The Conversation - Public School Insights:


What is the “Status Quo?” And What the Heck is a “Reformer?”

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am delighted with the election results from earlier this month.  Well, I’m delighted with most of the election results.  I’m sorely disappointed that my friend and colleague, Helen F. Morris, lost her position on the Alexandria City (VA) School Board, where she serves as Vice Chairman and has put countless hours into advocating for strong schools and effective teachers for ALL the students in Alexandria, especially children of color and those from disadvantaged homes.  Helen ran for re-election in a field of six for one of three positions in her region.  She was the only incumbent running and the only candidate with a child in the Alexandria City Public Schools.  I have no idea how capable (or not) the other candidates are (I live in Maryland and didn’t study the other candidates’ positions or backgrounds).  What I do know because I worked for years with her on issues around strong public education is that Helen’s position on the school board was a good thing for the children and citizens of Alexandria.
read more