Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 5, 2012

UPDATE: Southworks. « Fred Klonsky

Southworks. « Fred Klonsky:


From the Skokie chapter’s Illinois-Florida Liaison Ken Previti. Where do you stand?

Dear Wesley Heyduck, Linda Walcher, Bob Kaplan, Marge Houghland, Tim Brinker, Pearl Mack, David Bishop, Linda Stolt, Jane Nolan, Bob Haisman, Brian Mooberry, Allen Forys, Sandy Drafall, Mae Smith, Dottie Beeler, Terrry Waldron, Donald Gibb, Chuck Weishaupt, Chuck Starke, Melody Sexton, Sandra Horvath, Charlene Haley, Barbara Thielemann, Rita Stone, Jack Tucker, Elizabeth Kinser, Barb Gilhaus, Sara Kaufman and Gayla Dial:
Who are you? Why should I vote for you?
No, I really don’t know where you are on what issues. Please let me know.
Thanks.
- Ken Previti, IEA-Retired


Ed Rosenthal says why retirees should vote for him to be a delegate to the IEA RA.

Hi Fred,
Thanks for the chance to share my credentials!
I believe that I should be elected because:
1) I understand that IEA-R should represent IEA’s Retired members. We make up 6% of IEA and yet have only 1 seat on the board, no official seats on IPACE and no one on Executive Committee where many of the decisions are made that affect us. We need to increase our representation.
2) While not wearing an Orange sweater at the mike, I have never been shy about going to the microphone and becoming involved in the discussion. My years of activism as an active and retired member give me an insight into how IEA works.
3) I think IEA needs to find a way to get more of our former leaders involved in IEA-R. I am only in my third year on Retired Council and still attend Region 39 Council to understand the issues that actives have and share the issues we have.
4) I will bring issues that I have heard from Council, from my local chapter, from IRTA and from my Retired teacher breakfast group to the RA as appropriate.
5) I have been active in political action and am a member of IEA’s Pension Defense Committee working to preserve our pensions.
Thanks for the opportunity to post on your blog.
Ed


Since I can’t run for the IEA RA, tell me why I should vote for you.

For some still unexplained reason, I was not sent the copy of the Advocate that had the nomination form to run for the IEA Representative Assembly.
So I can’t run as a delegate. Nominations are closed.
Today I received the ballot.
There are thirty names. I can vote for seventeen.
Some people on the ballot I know. Some I don’t.
But I want to know who is going to go to the RA to fight for for pensions and a change to IEA business as usual.
So, Wesley Heyduck, Linda Walcher, Bob Kaplan, Marge Houghland, Tim Brinker, Pearl Mack, David Bishop, Linda Stolt, Jane Nolan, Bob Haisman, Brian Mooberry, Allen Forys, Sandy Drafall, Mae Smith, Dottie Beeler, Terrry Waldron, Ed Rosenthal, Donald Gibb, Chuck Weishaupt, Chuck Starke, Melody Sexton, Sandra Horvath, Charlene Haley, Barbara Thielemann, Rita Stone, Jack Tucker, Elizabeth Kinser, Barb Gilhaus, Sara Kaufman and Gayla Dial.
Tell me why I should vote for you.
Plus, this blog is widely read by IEA retirees. You can tell them too.
I’ll post your comments unedited.
If you don’t want to, I can’t make you. But I don’t have to vote for you either.
Since I can’t run and can’t go, I want to make sure I’m represented.



Southworks.



Alice Puerala and Harold Washington. Photo: Scott Marshall
A picture posted on Facebook of the late local steelworkers’ union leader Alice Puerala and the late Mayor Harold Washington took me back a few years.
In 1973 I had moved to Chicago from LA.
In those days 20% of all Big Steel production in the United States took place along Lake Michigan from 78th Street on the east side of Chicago to Burns Harbor in Indiana.
Out-of-towners and those who live on the north side don’t know there’s an east side of Chicago. But that is what