Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week 11 2012

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week 11 2012:


Week 11 2012


number 11
I know, I know, I’m not being a good correspondent. The end of a busy election season, was followed by exhaustion, and preparation for report cards and parent conferences, which had a week for Thanksgiving plopped in the middle. But the wait is worth it readers (or at least I think so).
With Common Core implementation, there is an emphasis on non-fiction, having students write more, and student generated questions about the text. I know this may not be how the whole thing shakes out with the summative assessments, but I’m on board for the formative part. During this current unit, Ancient Civilizations, I’ve eschewed using the language arts text (Open Court), and doubled up on Social Studies lessons. For this