Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Short Notes: Comments On Suicide From Bill, Heather, And … Anonymous | The Jose Vilson

Short Notes: Comments On Suicide From Bill, Heather, And … Anonymous | The Jose Vilson:


Short Notes: Comments On Suicide From Bill, Heather, And … Anonymous


Unbeknownst to me, October 10th was World Mental Heath Day, a day after I wrote my post on students and suicide. Rather than reflecting in meta, I’ll share some of my colleagues’ comments to the post, all of which moved me in a profound way.
First, Bill Ivey:
One of my former students, then a Senior at another local school, killed herself two weeks ago. Though she only passed through my classroom for a few weeks before she and her mother agreed she would return to her previous school (where the mother worked), I remembered her well and was (and remain) deeply shaken. Her funeral was last Friday, and my colleague (who had previously