Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 5, 2012

School Tech Connect: I'm Certain You Agree

School Tech Connect: I'm Certain You Agree:


I'm Certain You Agree

There's an interesting little dialogue going on over at Catalyst between Rececca Nieves Huffman of DFER and Wendy Katten, of Raise Your Hand. It is what it is, so go read the whole thing to make up your own mind, but there are a couple things that stand out to me.

One is that there's a basic assumption in the DFER camp that everyone agrees with them on very basic things. To wit (this is Huffman):
Ms. Katten, it is clear to me that our organizations have issues we can work on together.  For instance, I’m certain you agree with us that low-performing charter schools should be closed.
Huh.

Even  don't hold this position, and I have CDS*. I'm glad Wendy Katten clarifies the matter in a follow-up (this is Katten):

Perhaps our main difference is we don't see school closings as an answer for under-