Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 26, 2012

Kris Nielsen: I (Used to) Love Teaching - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Kris Nielsen: I (Used to) Love Teaching - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


Kris Nielsen: I (Used to) Love Teaching

Guest post by Kris Nielsen.
This post was originally published here on his blog, Middle Grades Mastery.
I love teaching. Or, I did love teaching. I loved teaching when my job was to teach. Now, I don't love teaching, because my job is no longer teaching.
Was that introduction awkward enough? That's kind of how my job feels: awkward, frustrating, backwards, stifling, and redundant. Breaking away from the comparison to the introduction, I'd like to add demeaning, thankless, exhausting, fruitless, unappreciated, lonely, undemocratic, unfulfilling, and major energy drain.
But, please, let me explain my whining. I'm not generally a whiner, so I feel that when I do moan and complain, I should have some good reasons, and maybe even some solutions. (Before you get your hopes up, I'm not going