Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 22, 2012

Ed Notes Online: Teachers Unite: Undemocratic System of Mayoral Control Hurts NYC Schools

Ed Notes Online: Teachers Unite: Undemocratic System of Mayoral Control Hurts NYC Schools:


Teachers Unite: Undemocratic System of Mayoral Control Hurts NYC Schools

My suggestion is radical: put the choice of principal at the school level. They serve at the pleasure of the parents and teachers. In parts of Europe they actually elect their principals. That actually was a plank in the early history of the UFT some people tell me. --- Norm at Ed Notes.
I love to quote myself.

Great work from Sally Lee and the crew at Teachers Unite. I am proud to have been on the first TU Board way back when. This work may prove to be a strong weapon in our goal to put a stake through the heart of mayoral control by killing the argument deformers use that they are fighting for civil rights. You know what amazes me? That 36% of the teachers actually think they have a power over decision-making at the city level and 80% seem