Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bill Gates and Me | Seattle Education

Bill Gates and Me | Seattle Education:


Bill Gates and Me

Someone asked me today while we were waiting to be seated for a filming of a debate regarding I-1240 (more on that later), why everything Bill Gates, or for that matter the Walton’s, fund, I am opposed to.
Well, I’m not. I appreciate the money that Bill Gates and his wife spent to create the sculpture park in Seattle that faces the sound. It is a beautiful transition from the water to the low-rise condo’s along that stretch of waterfront. I also appreciate that they helped to fund the construction of the building that is now our central library although unfortunately all of the libraries in Seattle must close a few days each month due to financial constraints. If Gates assisted with keeping our libraries open, or pay his fair share of taxes, there would be many grateful students, particularly in the Central District, who rely heavily on the Douglass-Truth Library for the use of the computers and tutoring after school. I used to live in the Central District and after school everyday when I