Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Party Politics, the Post Office, and the Common Good « Student Activism

Party Politics, the Post Office, and the Common Good « Student Activism:


Party Politics, the Post Office, and the Common Good

I spent a few days in Missouri last week, giving a talk and hanging out with local campus activists. They’ve got a fascinating senate race in Missouri this year, between Todd “legitimate rape” Akin and embattled incumbent Claire McCaskill.
We talked a bit about the race while I was in town, my hosts and I, and so when I stumbled across a lifestream of the campaign’s first debate yesterday morning, I watched a bit of it. As it turned out, one of the first questions was on the post office.
The mail is one of a relatively short list of government service that are explicitly mandated in the constitution, but both Akin and libertarian challenger Jonathan Dine took aim at the USPS, arguing that its current financial setup