Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: IN THE MAILBOX

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: IN THE MAILBOX:


IN THE MAILBOX


From Chicago teacher, Andrew 

Dear friends and neighbors,

I write to you because of the possibility that my colleagues and I in
the Chicago Teachers Union may go on strike one week from today. I
want to share with you why I support this strike, and I hope that you
will consider my words as you sort through the media coverage and
other perspectives you hear about the regrettable impasse that the
Board of Education and the CTU have reached. Please feel free to
respond to me, to engage me in conversation personally, and to forward
my message to other people you know in Chicago who may be interested.

I have been a public school teacher ever since I graduated from
college. I've spent the last 10 years of my career in Chicago, and the
last 6 with the Chicago Public Schools. Wherever I've taught, I've