Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Looking out from SKYPE « My Island View

Looking out from SKYPE « My Island View:


Looking out from SKYPE

SKYPE is an application that allows your image to be broadcast to another computer anywhere in the world. It is great for Skyping authors, experts, or even NASA scientists into a classroom. An entire class can “Skype” with another class anywhere a computer has a feed. The potential for lecture, collaboration and learning is unlimited. I thought it might be interesting to share the Skype experience from the point of view of the presenter.
I was fortunate and honored to be asked by the organizers of Edcamp Atlanta to Skype into their Edcamp for a Q & A session. I know many people have been in a room when someone Skypes in, but I thought I could share the experience from the other side of the camera. Skyping in as a speaker is not the same experience as a Skype call with a friend.
The first consideration on the call is the Time Zone. Proximity plays a big part in the need to Skype in the first