Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, August 17, 2012

Vouchering an Educational Adventure | Dissident Voice

Vouchering an Educational Adventure | Dissident Voice:


Vouchering an Educational Adventure

I hadn’t talked with Marshbaum for a couple of years, ever since he left newspaper journalism for more lucrative work in the fast food industry. But here he was in my office to ask if I would publicize his new educational adventure.
“That’s great!” I said. “You’re finishing the last three years of college.”
“I own the school. CEO of Little Minds Charter and Voucher Corp. We’re on the leading edge of the trend to privatize schools.”
“How does mumbling into a broken speaker box make you qualified to run a school?” I asked.
“Interpersonal communication skills,” he replied. “That, and knowing how to count change and arrange work schedules for the three minimum-wage high school kids on my late night shift. It’s all administration and proper