Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 16, 2012

NYC Educator: How to Crush a New Teacher in Five Short Years

NYC Educator: How to Crush a New Teacher in Five Short Years:


How to Crush a New Teacher in Five Short Years

 by special guest blogger Suddenly ATR 

Summer 2012: "I'm sorry to inform you that you've been excessed for the school year." Early morning calls are the worst, and this was no exception. I'd go on the open market except I was excessed the day open market ended. 
Summer 2007: It was a warm summer, and I was moving back to NYC to join the "Teaching Fellows" program. I had no teaching experience, but that didn't matter. I was told that the NYC school system had a "critical shortage" of science teachers, and since I had a science background, I applied.

The teaching fellows training was fun. We learned the