Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Daily Kos: thoughts outside the normal bounds of political discussion

Daily Kos: thoughts outside the normal bounds of political discussion:


thoughts outside the normal bounds of political discussion

not mine, those of Karen Armstrong, in her book Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life.
A brief and very partial explanation, for which I apologize.  In the past few weeks I have found myself in a different mental and emotional place for reasons that at this point I choose not to disclose.  As a result of that, I have been reexamining what really matters to me, how I relate to the world.  As part of that, I have been turning some of my time to reading that challenges me in ways that are important.  The nature of compassion, which has always been important to me to some degree, has now become exceedingly so, which is in part why I turned to this book.
I just read a passage that in the midst of our political discourse and activity spoke loudly to me, so I thought I would share it.  Do with these words - and this post - whatever makes sense to you
If we continue to make our national interest an absolute value, to our cultural heritage and way of life as supreme, and to regard outsiders and foreigners with suspicion and neglect their interests, the interconnected global society we have created will not be viable.  After the world wars, genocide, and terrorism of the twentieth century, the purpose of the tribe or the nation can no longer be to fight, dominate, exploit, conquer, colonize, occupy, kill, convert, or terrorize rival groups.  We have a duty to get to know one another, and to cultivate a concern and responsibility