With school around the corner, I have flashbacks of how I could help my daughter be more successful in school. For the last 10 years, I have been fighting a battle with her for not doing well in school. It was not until I saw a brochure titled "My Child Hates School ... and I Do, Too," developed by the Denver Metro Community Parent Resource Center (CPRC), that things finally clicked for me.
In the literature, I saw statements like:
• My child says the teacher doesn't like me;
• The school keeps calling me about my child's behavior;
• I know my child is smart but she's failing.
Then, I saw the magic words:
"Do you have a child with ADHD (who is) struggling in school?"
No one had ever told me that ADHD was a developmental disability and that my daughter may require special assistance in school to be successful. When she was in kindergarten, her