Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Forget It « Diane Ravitch's blog

Forget It « Diane Ravitch's blog:
Click on picture to Listen to Diane Ravitch

Forget It

Just a couple of days ago, I said I wouldn’t blog on weekends. Yet, here I am, reading the news, reading my emails, and having a reaction to everything I read and impelled to share. It’s a Sunday. I just posted a blog. I violated the rule I just announced. Oh, well, they used to say that a woman reserves the right to change her mind. I have changed my mind about NCLB, testing, accountability, choice, competition, now I’m blogging on a Sunday.
I’ll try to stick to my book, but when I read something that catches my attention, I can’t resist reacting and sharing.
I think of this blog as my own hometown newspaper. I’m the editor and the main writer. I have lots of other


One of the Strangest Stories of the Day

The school leaders of New York City, Newark, Chicago, and Washington, D.C., convened a meeting to tell publishers that they would not buy their textbooks unless they were closely aligned with the Common Core standards.
Now bear in mind that these districts are in the forefront of corporate reform. Washington, D.C., Newark and Chicago are among the nation’s lowest performing districts.
Bear in mind that the Common Core standards have never been implemented or field-tested anywhere. No one knows how they will affect student achievement or whether they will widen the achievement gap between students of different races and income groups. If the standards are as rigorous as claimed, they may well worsen