Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Choosing Our Battles: Standing By the Communities We Seek to Challenge « Cooperative Catalyst

Choosing Our Battles: Standing By the Communities We Seek to Challenge « Cooperative Catalyst:


Choosing Our Battles: Standing By the Communities We Seek to Challenge

This is an article which recently appeared on my blog RADICAL FAGGOT, which David asked me to consider reposting here on the Co-op. Though this piece does not directly address education, it does ask questions about how we negotiate our allegiances to multiple and sometimes conflicting communities and struggles. I would be interested to learn the thoughts of others here on these questions, and to ask how they might be, in fact, related to teaching: How do we navigate the sometimes conflicting views and identities which exist in our learning communities? How do we decide when, where and how to challenge our own views and the views of those around us within our learning spaces?
Loving our communities means holding them in all of their complexities–even when they are not always able to do the same for us.
I was staying over this past week at my grandmother’s house in my father’s hometown. One morning I was helping make breakfast in the kitchen with my aunt, while some of my uncles and cousins were sitting around