Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Not Grading is Awful « Cooperative Catalyst

Not Grading is Awful « Cooperative Catalyst:


Not Grading is Awful

Cover of The Report Card
Cover of "The Report Card"Cross posted from my own blog; Blogging Through the Fourth Dimension.
I am just going to admit it; not grading sucks!  Not grading means I cannot assign an average, translate it into a grade and be done.  Not grading means I have to have anecdotal evidence to back up my final grade on the report card, anecdotal evidence I have to collect throughout the year and then actually keep in one place.  Not grading also means that my students have not been given percentages at any time throughout the year, which means that when I have to give them a letter grade (as mandated by my district) it is my job to make sure that they have an idea of why they are getting what they get.  Not grading means I cannot just zip through a pile of papers, correct them according to my answer key, and whip out my calculator.  Not grading means that a