Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Daily Kos: I still believe in this country

Daily Kos: I still believe in this country:


I still believe in this country

I just read I don't believe in this country anymore.  I can feel along with its author the pain he experiences, for I have seen it in the faces of some of my fellow teachers and far more often in the faces of the families of the students I have taught recently.  Increasing numbers of our graduates focus on state colleges and universities because other opportunities have been foreclosed by finances, by loss of financial aid possibilities.
Yet I still believe in this country.  If I did not, I would not have spent this past weekend in Providence, at Netroots Nation.
I would not have brought John Jackson and Diane Ravitch in to speak about how we can win the war on public education.
I would not have spent the past 17 years teaching in public schools, trying to convince my young people that