Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Whole Month Left (A Freewrite) | The Jose Vilson

A Whole Month Left (A Freewrite) | The Jose Vilson:


A Whole Month Left (A Freewrite)

“You’re going to miss us!”
“Yes, I’m going to miss bothering the heck out of you!”
I mean, why do students think we’re actually going to spend our off time thinking about them? Except when we do. Like now.
There’s only a month left before we usher them on to their next stations in life (most of them anyways). They’re going to take new trips to school, new friends, different uniforms (if at all), and new teachers. The last one is probably of most concern to me because I at least like to know that the math teacher after me is actually betterthan me. Maybe he or she will have a little more rigor with collecting work, better feedback, more quiet in the classroom, and their own room for children to really explore math. They’ll have the time to do integrated projects without the compromise of other duties in and out of school. They’ll be patient where I should have been, vociferous where I wasn’t, and kind earlier than I was.
Maybe their home situations will settle down more, and a different environment will help rattle them out of some of their wayward routines, like eating in class and tossing things at each other when they think I’m not looking. Maybe they’ll actually get to school on time and come prepared with all necessary materials, well-clothed, fresh,