Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 28, 2012

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » End of Year

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » End of Year:


End of Year

Howdy!
I am Alice Mercer
 I teach fifth grade at an elementary school in Sacramento, CA. 
I want to thank Larry Ferlazzo for putting up a post about his article on the last day of school, because I have lesson plans all the way out until our final three days, and it got me thinking about what I need to do.
Larry provided a list of three approaches most teachers take to the day. They are:
CATEGORY ONE: Placate and Vegetate. This section requires little explanation, and I’ve been guilty of it myself some years. The teacher puts on a movie, sets out games for students to play, or allows them to listen to music and chat. Everybody pretty much just counts down the minutes.
CATEGORY TWO: Celebrate and AppreciateMany of the teachers who responded to my call-out have celebrations.
CATEGORY THREE: Evaluate and Agitate. This translates into have the students do actual work.
Larry teaches secondary which has 5 to 6 45-60 minute periods. Elementary school where I teacher has a completely different rhythm and flow since I have to go the whole day with the same group of kids. Traditionally, the district had it as a minimum day, which made planning easier, but this year, it’s a full day. I plan to do all three to different degrees and at different times of the day as is appropriate. Here is my plan, which given the