Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 28, 2012

Let’s Agree on This: Bring The Troops Home | The Jose Vilson

Let’s Agree on This: Bring The Troops Home | The Jose Vilson:


Let’s Agree on This: Bring The Troops Home

This post won’t serve as an anti-war post. I haven’t changed my pro-peace stance on any level, and firmly believe that our presence in so many foreign countries has less to do with actually promoting peace and more to do with increasing wealth for a handful of powerful individuals. My radicalism doesn’t mean I somehow hate America or want to jump to Cuba; it just means I conscientiously object to sending more and more of our young men and women to countries under ambiguous and imperial means. I respectfully do the pledge at Yankee game seventh-inning stretches, but does doing it absolutely every day of the year make me more patriotic than the next? Nope. Absurd.
But you can disagree with me. That’s how discussion works.
One thing that often strikes a chord with even my worst dissenters is this: let’s bring the troops home. I don’t care if it happens next month or within the next year (I prefer the latter); let’s get them back home. I think to all