Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, May 18, 2012

Daily Kos: "... we do not have a sustainable society"

Daily Kos: "... we do not have a sustainable society":


"... we do not have a sustainable society"

when too few have too much and too many have too little, we do not have a sustainable society
The words are from Bernard Rapoport, known to his friends simply as B.  I have been reflecting upon them for the past few days, because of having attended his memorial on Tuesday, about which I wrote yesterday in this post, which I think may be as important as anything I have ever posted here.
We are seeing the continued development of an America were too few do have too much and an ever-increasing percentage have too little.
The situation will be made worse if the Affordable Care Act is overturned by the Supreme Court.
The situation has been made worse by a series of decisions about campaign finance, going back to Buckley v Valeo equating money with speech, and when combined with the idea that corporations are persons culminating in Citizens United, along with the existence of 527s, Super Pacs, and the abuse of 501(c)(4) organizations by the likes of Karl Rove.
B Rapoport once asked a close friend "Moyers, what can I do to make this world a better place?"   I have some thoughts on this, and they are combined with the third of the three things he learned from his father, that he needed to have a sense of outrage at injustice.
I invite you to continue to explore some ideas with me.