Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Reflections on Year One of Re:education in Baltimore | Re:education in Baltimore

Reflections on Year One of Re:education in Baltimore | Re:education in Baltimore:


Reflections on Year One of Re:education in Baltimore

Honoré Daumier 017 (Don Quixote)
Don Quijote and Sancho Panza by Honoré Daumier, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
A week ago Baltimore storyteller Rafael Alvarez challenged me, over pita points and taramosalata at Samos, to explain what I was doing with this blog and who I was doing it for, in 140 characters or less. I couldn’t. But I took up the challenge to explain my quixotic quest, as he painted it, in my anniversary post.
Today marks one year of Re:education in Baltimore. It’s my paper anniversary. After filling a dozen creamy pages with ink (they used to call that writing), it’s time to transfer some thoughts to the Web.
What am I doing? 
I started this blog to prevent myself from alienating my friends and family. After a year of engagement with the charter versus neighborhood school quandary, I was bombarding everyone in earshot with talk of issues they either didn’t want to talk about or didn’t want to confront at the same high level of intensity. I’d learned a lot. The people in a ten-foot radius may not have cared, but I was sure others did. Why not write a blog?
What started as (and still is) an outlet for sharing knowledge and curating stories of interest quickly turned into a platform