Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Schools Matter: Cañon City improves access to books, I make a suggestion

Schools Matter: Cañon City improves access to books, I make a suggestion:


Cañon City improves access to books, I make a suggestion

Written in response to a very nice article in the local newspaper.

A suggestion for the Book Swap: Don’t include incentives
Sent to the Cañon City Daily Record, March 10, 2012

I was very pleased to read that as a result of my presentation at the Colorado Reading Association conference, there are plans to add a book swap along with the summer free lunch program in Cañon City (“Cañon City School District collecting books for summer reading,” March 10). I’m very happy that McKinley teacher Jamie Davis came to my presentation and passed my message about the importance of access to books to others.

The organizers of the summer program, according to the Daily Record, are considering providing incentives